Designed by Vel’s Parnelli Jones Racing, Big Oly was one of the first purpose-built off-road race cars to compete at Baja. Built from scratch, it featured a chromoly tube-frame one-off chassis and Bronco-style fibreglass body. The legendary off-roading team of Bill Stroppe and Parnelli Jones raced Big Oly from 1970-1974 and accumulated numerous victories, including back-to-back wins at the Baja 1000 in 1971 and 1972. Big Oly is part of the new exhibition at the Petersen Automotive Museum, ‘Legends of Los Angeles’. For more details on this and other exhibits at the Petersen, click on the link below.
These beautiful images are from a personal studio project from the guys at WE! Shoot It. One of our favourite creative pairings, Michael Compensis and Thomas von Salomon produced these shots for their BMW classic cars calendar. To see more of their work, click on the link below. Photos: ©WE! Shoot it.
After witnessing the success of the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL coupe and roadster, foreign car importer and dealer Max Hoffman, the man who gave birth to the model, believed that a somewhat smaller and less expensive car, but that bore similar styling to the 300 SL, could also be commercially successful. The top brass at Mercedes didn’t take much convincing, and the 190 SL was born. Introduced at the 1954 New York Motor Show, it proved to be a popular and profitable model for the marque.
At its heart was a 1.9-litre engine capable of producing 120 bhp, with a top speed of over 105 mph. Intended for grand touring, the 190 SL featured copious amounts of luggage space and offered customers the choice of having either a hardtop, convertible soft top, or both, making it ideal for year-round use.
RM Sotheby's will be offering this beautiful 1961 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL at their upcoming Petersen Automotive Museum Auction on the 8th December. For more information on this and other vehicles at the sale, click on the link below. Photos: Chris Palmer ©2018 Courtesy of RM Sotheby's.
Aston Martin stunned the world when it first unveiled DB4 in 1958. It was the first in the Aston Martin trilogy that included DB5 and DB6, a series of three magnificent cars that secured the brand’s position in the hall of automotive fame. Handcrafted at Aston Martin’s, Newport Pagnell facility, DB4 was the brand’s first true Grand Tourer. It was an entirely new car with the platform chassis, disc brakes and 3.7-litre straight six-cylinder engine developed especially for the DB4, quite an achievement for a highly regarded but small British manufacturer.
The evolution of the DB4 was gradual but constant with each ‘Series’ categorising individual changes to design or engineering performance. In 1959, the DB4 GT was introduced following on from its DB4 GT prototype forefather, DP199, that was raced by Sir Stirling Moss at Silverstone winning its first ever outing at the BRDC race in 1959. With bodywork made of thinner aluminium, the wheelbase reduced by 13cm, the engine tuned and the rear seats removed on all but a few examples, the DB4 GT enjoyed a long and distinguished career on the racing circuit. The car featured here is the newly launched DB4 GT Continuation, a special series of 25 track-only cars built to lightweight specification by Aston Martin Works at Newport Pagnell.
The DB4 GT Zagato is regarded by many as one of the most beautiful cars of all time. Each DB4 GT rolling chassis was sent over to the Zagato factory in Milan where it received a lightweight body designed by Ercole Spada, creating the distinctive design. Raced at Le Mans, the factory only ever planned to produce 25 with only 19 cars completed. Due to its relative scarcity, the DB4 Zagato is considered one of the most desirable Aston Martins ever built.
Ferrari built upon the success of its first mid-engine production car, the 365 GT4 Berlinetta Boxer, with the introduction of the 512 BB in 1976. The new 512 featured a small chin spoiler, exposed driving lights, air ducts ahead of the rear wheels, four taillights in lieu of six, and a slightly longer tail.
For the Ferrari faithful, the addition of the fuel injection in 1981 was a welcome change, and the BBi is considered the most civilied of the Berlinetta Boxers. The fuel injection brought about an increase of 20 foot-pounds of torque, helping the car feel much more tractable overall. With a potent 335 bhp, performance remained extraordinary, and the 512 BBi could reach 60 mph from a dead start in just 5.4 seconds, leading to a healthy top speed of 174 mph. By the time production came to an end in 1984, replaced with the Testarossa, Ferrari had built just over 1,000 fuel-injected BBs. The model was also the last Ferrari to be hand-built under the guidance of famed coachbuilder Sergio Scaglietti.
RM Sotheby's will be offering this 1983 Ferrari 512 BBi at their upcoming Arizona Auction between the 17-18th January 2019. For more information on this and other vehicles at the sale, click on the link below. Photos: ©2018 Courtesy of RM Sotheby's.
Grand Prix Noire is a series of images by German photographer Thomas Schoenberg. These shots of renown racetracks at night, have a real atmospheric quality to them, capturing such circuits as the Nürburgring Nordschleife and Dubai Autodrome, still and deserted. To see more of Schorn’s portfolio which includes a great deal on motorsport related work, click on the link below. Photos ©Thomas Schorn.
Helping revive Mercury’s racing program in the 1960s following the lift of the factory racing ban, race car builder Bill Stroppe prepared this Mercury for the 1964 NASCAR season in his Long Beach, California race shop. The Marauder was created to bolster Mercury division’s lackluster image and was one of the first Ford products designed with a wind-cheating fastback roof. This Marauder made its debut at the 1964 Daytona 500 driven by Darel Dieringer, who had handed Stroppe his first NASCAR win the previous season.
This striking 1964 Mercury Marauder is part of a new exhibition at the Petersen Automotive Museum in LA. ‘Legends of Los Angeles’ features 12 of the most iconic race cars ever built in Southern California. Surrounded by a 180-degree panoramic video, the museum takes some of the rarest historic cars from land speed, drag, Indy, circle track and sports car racing back to the tracks that made them famous to create a fully immersive experience where visitors can see and hear the cars in action.
Campaigned by Scuderia Ferrari for the 1956 and 1957 seasons, this Ferrari 290 MM racer was piloted by an amazing assortment of factory team drivers including Juan Manuel Fangio, Phil Hill, Peter Collins, Wolfgang von Trips, Olivier Gendebien, Eugenio Castellotti and later, Stirling Moss, in some of the most prestigious race events in the world.
The 290 MM was developed by Ferrari to contest the 1956 World Sports Car Championship and the Mille Miglia, hence the MM initials, and to reclaim dominance over past and present competitor, Mercedes-Benz, and its great domestic rival, Maserati. For Enzo Ferrari, this was just as important as his efforts to win the Formula One World Championship. This was the fourth and final example ever built. Equipped with an all-new powertrain, composed of the Tipo 130 V12, 3,490 cc engine, coupled with the Tipo 520 transaxle, the 290 MM was the car to bring the manufacturer title back to Maranello for the third time.
In serving for the Scuderia Ferrari team, the racing history of this 290 MM speaks for itself. At its debut in the 1956 Mille Miglia in 860 Monza specifications, it finished 2nd overall while wearing number #551, piloted by Peter Collins and Louis Klemantaski. In the same year, Olivier Gendebien and Hans Hermann took the car to 4th at the Targa Florio in Sicily, while Umberto Maglioli finished in 2nd place with the car in the XVIII Aosta-Gran San Bernardo Hillclimb, also in Italy. The legendary Fangio raced the car in the Swedish Grand Prix just months later. Upgraded to 290 MM specifications by the factory in 1957, its remit outside Italy extended as Alfonso de Portago, Wolfgang von Trips and Eugenio Castellotti finished 3rdin the 1000km Buenos Aires, and two months later the car entered the 12 Hours of Sebring with Phil Hill and von Trips at the wheel. Stirling Moss slid behind the wheel at the 1957 Bahamas Speed Weeks and drove the car to victory in both the Memorial Race and the Nassau Trophy Race.
RM Sotheby's will be offering this beautiful 1956 Ferrari 290 MM by Scaglietti at their upcoming Petersen Automotive Museum Auction on the 8th December. For more information on this and other vehicles at the sale, click on the link below. Photos: Remi Dargegen ©2018 Courtesy of RM Sotheby's.
One of our all time favourites, the Ferrari 288 GTO, has been beautifully captured here by CGI artist Pedro Duarte, using neon lighting to give it a truly eighties feel. Fit for any bedroom wall alongside a Countach, Testarossa and perhaps a 959.
To see more of Duarte‘s work, which includes examples from Alfa Romeo, BMW, Bugatti, Jaguar, Lamborghini and Porsche, click on the link below. Images © Pedro Duarte.